Sunday, February 7, 2010

Whale Week 2/08/10

Welcome to Whale Week! As this celebration of the great mammals of the sea has been much contained to the original celebrators, I feel that I must do as Vizzini told Inigo, go back to the beginning to include each of you.

"A whale of a tale to tell you lad, a whale of a tale or two." Why thank you, Kirk Douglas.

I have always revered whales. The first time I remember learning about the creature was in a binder of Discovery or National Geographic cards of various animals. The fact sheet about the Blue Whale was astounding. Obviously my affection toward whales was put on the back burner through much of my schooling as my obsession with cows prevailed. However, when I met Garrick and J.D., the love of the gentle giant was reaffirmed.

ACTION
Before you get lost in the narrative, I will prescribe the activity for the day. Contemplate the first time you were lost in awe at the sight, sound or thought of a whale. If you cannot think of the first instance, think of any. If you could not care less about the whales, I implore you to reconsider.

This first activity is a simple, beginner event to ease into the week. If you accomplish the task, you will feel a desire to participate further. Do so with caution and patience. We will now continue as I share further about how and why I love whales.

As a tribute to these animals, Garrick and I made a Whale Cake (you will be informed at the end of the week how to participate in this ritual) and took the cake to school lunch in my sophomore year of high school. As an anecdotal note, we purchased the goods to prepare said cake at the late
Food4Less (for which we bemoan). The cake was well-received, even by the west-side kids. Questions were asked about the reason of our cake. We responded that our declaration was the day was Whale Day.

Following lunch, I jogged off to my computer class. As the class was a simple one, I desired to search the interwebs to discover if there was in existence such a celebration which we created. To my astonishment, that date was during a certain group's celebration of Whale Week. Providence! It was not shear coincidence; it was glory! I remember that tear's of jubilation nearly welled in my eyes.

Now, at this point I must digress to state that after the first two years of celebration I was not able to locate this web address through searching (I was a fledgling internet user and had not a clue about taking notes about web address). You may feel that the sharp pain of the metaphorical dagger of my lies and created stories to lead the feeble willing down a path of darkness and hell. Do not let this falsehood of zero remaining evidence cloud your mind in fear and doubt. These things are true and ever will be. (do I dare sacrilige and blasphemy?....nope. this is where I stop with that train of thought). I did view that site. I knew that it did attest to my inspiration about celebrating whales. And I know that joy will continue in this yearly event. (okay, I hypocritically ventured the trail I didn't want to take, but I veiled the allusions enough that it isn't that bad [hypocrite]).

Here I will address two final points. Many of you may think "this idiot, why does he think that whales are so great? they don't do anything for anyone. 'don't save the whales, save the humans.'" Or you may be appalled to receive knowledge that I participated in a whaling. I understand your concerns and explain thus: I am often borderline tree-hugger. I make paper from recycled shreddings. I garden. I own hemp clothing. I sometimes tailor my diet to be vegetarian. Nevertheless, I also fish. I have put in to draw an archery deer hunting license for this year. And if I had walked down the lonely, cold, night streets of New Bedford with Ishmael, I would have taken the adventure to toss a lance, alongside Queequeg, at the great nemesis of Cptn. Ahab. But, I will greatly cherish studying live whales in the wild when that day for me comes. The foundation that two opposing philosophies can exist alongside one another is culture; is human. I take the earth as it is given for my use, though I also care for it and learn about it. I do not let the environment rule me; I am it's co-steward. You may not understand; furthermore, you may not agree. Dispute and query further.

Back to the history we trot. Since that day there has been much respect given to whales. There has also been much cake. There was once even a harpooning of a whale. These vary from year to year but since that day I and others have peacefully celebrated whales and will continue to do so. To complete this laborious reading I comfort you by inciting images of magestical whales swimming through your mind and informing you that the activity posts for the rest of the week will not be this extensive or comprehensive.

Happy Whale Week 2010!

No comments:

Post a Comment