Thursday, February 18, 2010

Bushelberry Pie

As a tie to last week's Whale Week, I post this recipe here (see, it's a whale on the pie crust). This pie is a modification of a vegetable dish that my mother has made that is usually made for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners. The name is due to a promise that I made to Nick "Bushels" or "Bushelberry Pie" Bushman. It is a pie that is nearly sweet enough as dessert, but since there are vegetables most people would prefer to have it as a sweet side dish to a savory meal.

Bushelberry Pie

3 medium yams
3 medium beets
2 apples, peeled, cored & sliced
1/4 C brown sugar packed
2 or 3 T granulated sugar
2 T cornstarch
1/2 tsp. salt
2 T butter

Use an 8" or 9" two-pie crust (lattice top optional)

Peel, slice, halve slices and cook yams and beets (steaming works nicely). Empty the pineapple into a small saucepan Do not drain. Add cornstarch, sugars and salt then, while stirring, heat until the mixture begins to thicken. Place apples, cooked yams and beets in the prepared pie crust in tin/dish. Pour pineapple mixture over the top and lightly fold together. Place pieces of butter on top with a sprinkle of brown sugar. Cover with top pie crust. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees until juices bubble and crust is lightly browned.

*instead of preparing the vegetables you may use canned vegetables.

1 comment:

  1. May I be the first to say thank you James bud riches...thank you for the gift of culinary immortality. I am both strangely empowered, and now really hungry. I can't wait to try my hand at creating my own bushelberry pie. I would love to taste a slice of this confection made with love and tender care by you. One day perhaps...love you bro.

    ReplyDelete